Monday, March 8, 2010

from a'dam to r'dam

March 8, 2010

Well, Rotterdam is definitely not Amsterdam. :) Amsterdam is home and I miss its streets, my gorgeous Zuster Ekstrom, our investigators and my favorite members (you know who you are) TERRIBLY, but I'm trying to not let that get in the way of my adjustment. Het hoort erbij, eh? Rotterdam is absolutely beautiful - clean, tidy, green, open. Zuster Hamblin (whom I love...we're best buds already) and I feel really optimistic about the miracles that will unfold here over the next few transfers. We're teaching a family from Curacao - Gerda (mother) and her two teenage daughters, Edelina and Tania. They feel really positive about the restoration of the gospel and the plan of salvation - with a bit more diligence in reading, they'll be soon ready for baptism.

Truth be told, I haven't seen much of the city. Zuster Hamblin and I have been at home and sick my entire time here - we've had a lot of time to make calls, read general conference talks, listen to the same music over and over, and clean and rearrange our entire apartment - and all of that times four. It truly makes me grateful for the chance that I have to wake up every day and go outside a make a difference. We're looking forward to getting back to work.

Yesterday was church and it felt WONDERFUL to be in a familiar surrounding. The members are lovely and we've got our work cut out for us. And let me just add that it's a different language down here. I've gotten more than several remarks (not quite sure if they were kidding or not) about my "awful Amsterdam accent". Ya, well, I could say a few things about theirs. Hahaha.

Some news I got the other night about Amsterdam - William from Aruba (Marijke's friend we were teaching) has set a baptismal date!!!!!!!!! Get this: 4 January 2011. Completely serious. Let me assure you, I am ecstatic that he picked out a date and made this decision. I'm positive that he'll surprise himself by getting in the water a little sooner. And for now, I've just got the biggest smile on my face.
The gospel is true, my friends. Make sure everyone knows it.

al mijn liefde,
Zuster Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment